This is a very handy recipe to have in your collection. You just beat it altogether in a bowl, with a wooden spoon. Yay no mixer required. Less washing up!
It works well on a traybake, cupcakes or cake. The recipe is from Mary Berry’s ‘Fast Cakes’ and is from another recipe, which I shared a while ago ‘simple chocolate cake’. (Simple Chocolate Cake ). We made cupcakes (Heavenly Chocolate Cupcakes) but tried this icing instead.
My son is not a huge fan of oodles of buttercream on a cupcake, so we tested this for our St Patrick’s Day baking. Its a rich chocolatey frosting, so you don’t need to have lashings of it. We just spread it on with a knife, so it’s not particularly stylish looking, but tasted delish. The recipe was the perfect amount for 12 cupcakes.
- 25 g cocoa powder, sifted
- 40 g butter, softened (the recipe doesn’t state salted or unsalted, I tend to use unsalted for icing but only had salted and it was still lovely)
- 2 – 3 tablespoons milk (I used 3)
- 100 g icing sugar, sifted
- Measure the cocoa, butter, milk and icing sugar into a bowl. Beat well to a light, smooth consistency.
- Spread over the top of the cake or cupcakes and swirl attractively with a round bladed knife.
- Add sprinkles or decorations if desired.
De (aka thecakemum)
I’m on instagram
and on facebook
and would be delighted if you checked out my pages 🙂