These Vanilla Cookies are easy to make and the dough can be frozen. The dough does not spread when cooked so are perfect for making shaped cookies using cookie cutters. I use this all year round and it never fails me. See Halloween and Easter for more inspo.
- 100 g butter at room temp ( I use unsalted)
- 100 g castor sugar
- 1 beaten egg (I use large)
- 275 g Plain Flour
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Preheat oven to 190 (170 fan) and line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- Using a wooden spoon (or an electric mixer), beat the butter and sugar together until they are light and fluffy.
- Add the beaten egg, a little at a time, until all the egg is absorbed in the mixture.
- Stir in the vanilla essence
- Sieve the flour into the mixture and stir to form a soft dough. Use your hands to bring the crumbs together.
- Wrap in clingfilm. Leave to chill in fridge for 30 mins, this makes it easier to roll out
- Place dough on floured surface and roll out until it is 1cm thick, use a heart shaped cookie cutter, cut out the dough and place on lined tray. You can re-roll the unused dough to create more cookies.
- Bake in the oven for 10 mins or until light golden brown.
- Leave to cool for 5 minutes on baking tray after you remove them from the oven before transferring to a wire rack.
Some @thecakemum observations/tips:
- I often freeze half the dough in a plastic bag. I then defrost it in the fridge overnight and bake as above – a handy treat to have in the freezer
De (aka thecakemum)
I’m on instagram
and on facebook
and would be delighted if you checked out my pages 🙂