What a childhood throwback. A friend asked me if I had a nice coffee cake recipe and I didn’t, but I decided I’d find one for her. In the end I went with a traybake, it goes a long way. It also meant I could give her some and keep some, without it looking like I was giving her half a cake 😉
I initially tried ‘coffee fudge traybake’ from the wonderful Mary Berry’s book ‘ Fast Bakes’ and it was a hit. It was however a bit small, so I decided to just add coffee essence to the regular traybake recipe I use, for my second attempt.
If you can’t get CAMP coffee essence, you can use real coffee (1 tablespoon of coffee granules dissolved in 1 tablespoon of boiling water). I found CAMP in Dunnes Stores and hear SuperValu stock it too.
- 225 g softened butter
- 225 g castor sugar
- 275 g self raising flour (sifted)
- 2 level teaspoons of baking powder (sifted)
- 4 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons of milk
- 1.5 tablespoons CAMP coffee essence
- Preheat oven to 180° or 160° fan. Grease a 12 x 9 traybake or roasting tin. Line the base with baking parchment
- Measure all the ingredients into a large bowl and beat until blended. Turn the mixture into the prepared tin and level
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for around 35-40 minutes or until the cake has shrunk from the sides of the tin and springs back to touch. Leave to cool in tin
- Turn onto a wire cooling rack.
- Cover with buttercream when cooled (recipe below) and cut into 20 squares.
- 75 g butter at room temp (I use unsalted butter)
- 225 g icing sugar (sifted)
- 1.5 tbsp of CAMP coffee essence
- 1 tbsp of cooled boiled water
- Using a mixer beat the unsalted butter in a large bowl until it’s very soft
- Add half the icing sugar and mix on low until smooth.
- Then add the coffee essence and the tablespoon of water. Mix again and continue adding the remaining icing sugar. Mix on a low speed until all the icing sugar is mixed in.
Some @thecakemum observations/tips:
- Surprisingly kids like this coffee traybake. I think maybe it’s because it uses coffee essence, instead of real coffee? who knows. My kids devoured it.
De (aka thecakemum)