Frosting – the word sounds very American to me, but the recipe below is definitely not icing.
This works so well on a cake. It’s a lick the spoon (ahem and bowl) kinda recipe. It would also be delicious on cupcakes, a traybake or even slightly heated and poured on ice cream.
I have the GBBO 2018 wall planner and this recipe is from it. I didn’t make the acccompanying cake, as it seemed to require a thousand ingredients, but this frosting is a well worth a post all for itself.
- 75 g dark chocolate
- 75 g milk chocolate
- 25 g unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons whipping cream (I used regular cream)
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
- Tip the chocolate into a heatproof bowl and melt over a pan of barely simmering water, making sure the bottom doesn’t touch the water, or in the microwave on a low setting.
- Add the butter, cream and golden syrup and mix to combine.
- Leave to cool for 20-30 minutes.
- To use, spoon frosting over the top of the cake. If using sprinkles or cake decorations – scatter on cake before icing sets.
- I don’t normally suggest recipes that require buying ingredients, especially for, but in this case, it’s so worth buying cream.
- Cream freezes well, so just put any unused cream in the freezer. Last time I made the frosting, I put 4 tablespoons of cream in a little container and froze it. How savvy is that! It means I’ll have it for the next batch.
- The recipe doesn’t mention if you should mix in cream etc over the heat or off the heat. I mixed it over the heat as I thought it might extend the shelf life of the frosting.
- Recipe for the cake coming soon. Promise!
De (aka thecakemum)
I’m on instagram
and on facebook
and would be delighted if you checked out my pages 🙂