I make this a lot, for ourselves and also as to bring to other people’s houses. I can’t take the credit for the recipe, I found it ages ago and it’s a Mary Berry (aka my hero) one. I love it as it’s an all-in-one recipe, so super easy to make. I do like other bakers I swear but the recipes I bake over and over again, seem to be Mary Berry ones!
- 100g Softened Butter
- 175g Caster Sugar * see tips below
- 2 Large Eggs
- 2 Ripe Bananas (mashed)
- 225g Self Raising Flour
- 1 tsp. Baking Powder
- 2 tbsp. Milk
1. Preheat the oven to 180C / Fan 160C / Gas 4.
2. Lightly grease a 2lb loaf tin, then line the base and sides with baking parchment
3. Measure all ingredients into a mixing bowl and beat for about 2 minutes, until well blended
4. Spoon the mixture into the tin and level the surface
5. Bake in the pre-heated over for about 1 hour, until well risen and golden brown. A fine skewer inserted in the centre should come out clean if the loaf is ready.
6. Leave to cool in the tin for a few minutes, then turn out, peel of the parchment and finish cooling on a wire rack.
Tips and Observations
- I now use less sugar than the recipe says. I reduce the amount to 125g and it tastes exact the same.
- It’s very crumbly if you cut it straight away, but if firms up after a few hours.
- It keeps well for a few days, if it lasts that long.
- I sometimes put a few slices spread out in a zip lock bag in the freezer, I spread them out so they freeze individually. This means, I can take out a slice at a time instead of having lots of slices stuck together. A single slice defrosts in under half an hour, so it’s super handy for lunch boxes etc.
- You can add in choc drops to the mixture for an extra treat.Make sure you buy ‘Bake Stable’ ones, I used Tesco brand. Otherwise, they sink!
- Making banana bread into cupcakes – make batter as normal and divide among 14-16 cupcake cases. Bake for 20-22 mins. These are great for outings and also freeze well.
De (aka thecakemum)
I’m on instagram
and on facebook
and would be delighted if you checked out my pages 🙂
2 thoughts on “Banana Loaf”