Tried and tested, again and again. I have baked these hundreds of times over the years. It’s a classic recipe, that I got years ago & is super easy. The recipe uses the all-in-one method, so basically bung everything in the mixer and let it do the work. Happy days.
- 125 g butter at room temp (I use salted butter)
- 125 g caster sugar
- 125 g self rasing flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan). Place 10-12 cupcake cases in a cupcake/ bun tin
- Place all the ingredients in your mixing bowl and mix at a low speed until just combined.
- Turn up the speed to medium and mix for one minute
- Spoon the mixture into the cupcake cases.
- Bake on the middle shelf of your oven for 15 – 20 minutes or until they are golden and spring back when touched.
- Leave to cool for a few minutes in the tin and then transfer to a cooling rack.
- Allow to cool fully before decorating.
Some @thecakemum observations/tips:
- I regularly use the cupcake cases from Aldi, I like the size and colours.
- The recipe can easily be doubled or halved, depending on the number of cupcakes you need.
- I use an ice-cream scoop to divide out the mixture, this ensures that the cupcakes are all the same size. My scoop must be 20 years old and still going strong.
- Cupcakes take 18-20 minutes in my oven. Keep in mind each oven is different.
- If your cupcakes dome a lot, by that I mean have a big peak like a mountain, try lowering the temperature slightly the next time you bake them.
- The cupcakes freeze perfectly. Just pop them in a plastic bag when cool and place in freezer.
- I put a buttercream recipe on my traybake post – that would be ideal. Vanilla Traybake
- I will also do a separate blog on buttercream soon as I get so many questions on how to make buttercream without it being too stiff or wet.
De (aka thecakemum)
I’m on instagram
and on facebook
and would be delighted if you checked out my pages 🙂