I should call them Oreo overload. Oreo’s in the cupcake, in the icing and on top. I got the recipe from the goodfood channel website years ago and have made them a good few times.
I did change the icing, their recipe used a cream cheese Oreo frosting. I opted for a buttercream Oreo topping, why? because you need to keep cream cheese in the fridge or it will go off. As well as that, people seem to either love or hate cream cheese frosting. Me personally, I love it but, I find that buttercream is more of a crowd pleaser.
- 6 Oreo biscuits
- 115 g softened unsalted butter
- 115 g castor sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 100 g self – raising flour
- 20 g cocoa powder
- 2 eggs lightly beaten (I use large)
- 1 tsp milk
- 6 Oreo Biscuits
- 150 g unsalted butter
- 300 g icing sugar
- Mini Oreo Biscuits for decoration (or cut full size Oreos in half)
- For the cupcakes: preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan). Line a muffin tin with 11 paper muffin/cupcake cases (not fairy cake cases as they are too small). Separate the Oreos and place half into the bottom of each case, with any cream filling facing upwards.
- Cream together the softened butter and caster sugar, along with the vanilla extract, until pale and fluffy.
- Sift in the flour and cocoa powder. Add the two beaten eggs and mix well, taking care to stop once all of the dry ingredients are incorporated. Add the milk and beat briefly to combine.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the cupcake cases. Bake for 22-25 minutes. Leave to cool in tin
- For the buttercream: separate the Oreos taking out the filling with a knife and keep. Place the Oreos in a plastic bag and crush them with a rolling pin until they are fine crumbs. You can use a food processor either – but bashing is kinda fun and saves washing up.
- Using a mixer, soften the butter, then gradually add the icing sugar on a low speed. Add in the Oreo Cream (from step 5). You may need to add 1-2 tbsp of water to soften the mixture. Once combined mix for a few minutes on a medium speed.
- Pipe or spread your icing onto the cupcakes. If you want to pipe the icing, you need a large piping tip (nozzle), otherwise the bits of Oreo may clog it up. I used a Wilton 2D or 1M nozzle and it was fine. I use that for everything! If you don’t have one, don’t worry, just spoon on the mixture.
- Add a mini Oreo on top for decoration and serve.
De (aka thecakemum)
I’m on instagram
and on facebook
and would be delighted if you checked out my pages 🙂