I adore lemon and love a good lemon hit in a biscuit or cake. I have been meaning to try lemon cupcakes for yonks and finally got around to it during lockdown. We actually tried two recipes and this was the big winner. The first recipe used plain flour and I felt the cupcakes were too heavy. The second recipe produced Light, fluffy and lemony cupcakes. Just what I wanted.
For these cupcakes, I went with a glacé icing instead of buttercream for change. Glacé icing is a smooth, runny, glossy icing made by beating icing sugar into water or juice. If you prefer buttercream, check out this post – 4 Buttercream Recipes. The icing I used for the cupcakes, is from my lemon traybake – easy to make and a good zingy flavour. I just halved the quantity and it’s perfect for 10-12 cupcakes
The cupcake recipes is a classic recipe, from a much used kids baking book, I just added lemon zest. You could try orange or lime zest if you got the urge.
- 125 g butter at room temp (I use salted butter)
- 125 g caster sugar
- 125 g self rasing flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1 lemon (use the zest for cupcake and juice for icing)
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1.5 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 112 g of icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan). Place 10-12 cupcake cases in a cupcake/ bun tin
- Place all the ingredients in your mixing bowl and mix at a low speed until just combined.
- Turn up the speed to medium and mix for one minute
- Spoon the mixture into the cupcake cases.
- Bake on the middle shelf of your oven for 15 – 20 minutes or until they are golden and spring back when touched.
- Leave to cool for a few minutes in the tin and then transfer to a cooling rack.
- Allow to cool fully before decorating.
- To make icing – Mix lemon juice with sifted icing sugar (just stir it, no need to use a mixer), to give a thick consistency (that you can spread). Place a spoon on each cupcake and spread around with a small palette knife or back of the spoon. Leave to set.
Happy Baking and #stayhome x
De (aka thecakemum)
I’m on instagram
and on facebook
and would be delighted if you checked out my pages 🙂