I found itsy bitsy Leibniz Biscuits in a local supermarket and had the urge to see what they would be like in a cake. They are just so teeny and cute. I didn’t have a recipe, so halved my vanilla traybake recipe and used this as a base. I put the biscuits in the batter & on the batter before I baked it. Then I also used them for decorations. Basically, it’s a triple biscuit traybake! The biscuits were a novelty and the kids got a kick out of including them in it. The cake was tasty though and it got devoured.
You need the cake ingredients below & 1 packet of Leibniz Biscuits. I opted to also use chocolate buttercream as well, but it’s also nice without the buttercream – just not as indulgent.
- 112 g softened butter
- 112 g castor sugar
- 137 g self raising flour (sifted)
- 1 level teaspoon of baking powder (sifted)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons of milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 180° or 160° fan. Grease a 20 cm x 30 cm tin, I use the tin that I make brownies in. Line the base with baking parchment
- Measure all the ingredients into a large bowl and beat until blended.
- Spread half the mixture into the prepared tin and level. Scatter some biscuits over the batter.
- Gently spread the remaining batter over the mixture in the tin.
- Sprinkle more biscuits on top of the batter – I think it looks prettier chocolate side down.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for around 22-25 minutes or until the cake has shrunk from the sides of the tin and springs back to touch. Leave to cool in tin
- Cover with buttercream when cooled (I halved this chocolate buttercream recipe) and spread it over the cooled caked. Then scattered yet more Leibniz biscuits on top.
Some @thecakemum observations/tips:
- I think this would also work with mini cookies or Lotus biscuits, but haven’t tried it it yet.
- My kids loved scattering the biscuits on the batter – thought they did try to make a face and I had to remind them to spread them out.
- I bought my biscuits in Nolans Supermarket, Clontarf, Dublin.
De (aka thecakemum)
I’m on instagram
and on facebook
and would be delighted if you checked out my pages 🙂