These cookies are easy to make, so it’s a handy recipe to add to your collection. Santa is quite partial to them, just so you know…..
The recipe is very kiddie friendly. I got it a Children’s Cook Book, called Baking with Tiny Tots. years ago and have made these cookies many times.
- 100 g butter softened
- 100 g soft brown sugar
- 1 egg. (I use large but have used medium if it’s all I had)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 150 g self raising flour
- 75 g porridge oats
- 100 g chocolate drops (milk, white or a mixture)
- Line two baking sheets with greaseproof paper. Preheat the oven to 190° (or 170° fan)
- Place butter and sugar in a mixing bowl. Beat together with an electric mixer or wooden spoon until creamy
- Add the egg and vanilla extract and beat again. Sieve the flour into the bowl and mix in.
- Add the oats and chocolate drops and stir in
- Using a teaspoon, place generous spoonfuls of the mixture in 18-24 lumpy heaps (their words!) on the baking sheets. Allow space between the heaps for the cookies to spread when the cook.
- Bake the cookies for around 10 minutes, until the ones on the top shelf are golden brown. Remove the ones on the top shelf and move the other baking sheet up from the lower shelf and bake for a further 3-5 mins until they are golden, then remove.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the baking tray for a few minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack.
Some @thecakemum observations/tips:
- I beat the egg with a fork before I add it, I find it easier to mix in like that.
- I use tesco own brand chocolate chips. I only discovered them recently and find them great. The milk chocolate ones are in a small blue bag and the white ones are in a, yep, white bag. They cost 85c for 100g when I bought them last.
- The recipe says it makes 24 cookies but they are small cookies. I’d make less and have a more decent size cookie, but that’s just my preference
- My oven has hot spots and is a bit erratic so the cookies take longer than they should in my oven. I have to rotate the tray during baking so that they bake evenly, but hopefully your oven is better than mine.
- I used smarties and chocolate drops in the cookies in the photo. You can add chocolate drops, M&Ms, Smarties or raisins… anything goes!